Saturday, May 08, 2010

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Socially Acceptable Graffiti
*
On April 22, 2009 I wrote an article about Graffiti in Patchogue. You might want to re-visit that piece after reading the rest of this article.
(Left click the link below)
*
http://mapleavenuenw.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-04-29T20%3A27%3A00-04%3A00&max-results=6
*
Last week I took a trip to Hawaii. I was amazed to see that
Graffiti was everywhere; that is, wherever there is Black Lava Rock. Patchogue has had a problem with Graffiti in the past; Hawaii's solution to unwanted Graffiti is almost poetic!
(The photos were taken on the "Big Island," which is also called Hawaii.)

The texture of the Graffiti appeared to be different! A casual inspection revealed that no Spray Paint was used. I then pulled my car off the road and walked near the Lava Field to inspect the Graffiti "up close."

I was totally amazed to find that the Graffiti was "
eco-sensitive; no spray paint was used and nothing was destroyed by the process of creating the art-work! Wow! For the first time in my life I felt a warm feeling of acceptance, as I examined the many masterpieces!

Everyone had a message to convey to the public; that is to anyone who drove by. From a public proclamation of love to a memoriam, all of the drawings had something in common; they were drawn with White Coral Rocks!

On a Black Lava background, white Coral stones were arranged to create the text images. The beauty of the Graffiti is that absolutely nothing was destroyed! Old messages were scattered by the rain, and the wind; and then the next artist would recycle the stones to create his own personal message!

The artists, could have easily used colored paint on the Black Lava Rock, which would have forever destroyed it's appearance; but they didn't! I did not see even one instance of paint being used to deface the beautiful Lava Rock.

My wife and I agreed, that the Graffiti was indeed socially acceptable, because property was not destroyed, and the rock arrangements would eventually revert back to their natural state.
*
Unfortunately I did not have time to make myself immortal by creating my own rock arrangement! Wow! We should dump a load of Black and White Rocks in our own Shorefront Park, and see what happens! We in Patchogue might also get a poetic solution to Graffiti.


MANW

(DOUBLE LEFT CLICK ANY IMAGE TO MAKE IT LARGER)


*

*




Anonymous Comments?click "Comments {below}," then Click "Anonymous." Type your message, and then click "Publish Your Post." (Text may be edited, paraphrased, or deleted.)*Our Thanks to Google For Hosting Our SiteAlso! Our Thanks to the "Gang," at Blogger for designing this program!

No comments:

Post a Comment


1. Click the "Anonymous Box" first.
2. Write your comment.
3. "Click" the "Publish Your Comment," Box.