Friday, August 03, 2012

We Need Traffic Light Countdown Timers
Ben Vitale



A Countdown Timer is a device that works like a Digital Wrist Watch. A traffic light that uses a "Countdown Timer," has four elements; a Green light, a Yellow light, a Red light, and a Countdown Timer. A Countdown Timer is a digital display that is placed below the traffic lights. As soon as a light changes, the timer displays the remaining seconds, before the traffic light changes. For example! as soon as the light turns Green, the timer displays the number 30; in one second the number 29 is displayed, in one second the number 28 is displayed. As soon as the timer reaches zero, the Yellow Light goes on. The counter again starts decrementing from Five seconds.


I am not a big fan of Stop light Cameras. I believe that these cameras create a sense of panic in many drivers, as they approach a Traffic Light Camera Intersection. Should I slow down? Should I speed up? OMG I can't afford a $300. fine! The driver behind me is already accelerating toward me; If I stop, will I get into an accident? OMG the driver behind me is tailgating my car. There is no way that I can stop now, without getting into an accident! With the current Traffic light arrangement, we are making decisions on the basis of insufficient information.


Please look at the YouTube video of a Countdown timer.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=Upq4KhHJKTE


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7dZj0n0LOw


We should not be forced to make split second decisions at an intersection. I have seen many drivers accelerate through an intersection at a higher speed than normal, in order to avoid getting a ticket, at the Traffic Camera Intersection. I would be in favor of Traffic Cameras, only if all of the intersections were equipped with Count Down Timers.


Hummm! In favor of Traffic Cameras! Yep! Another Bleeding Heart liberal! "Not true," I am a moderate! The pendulum swings Two ways; I have seen Five cars arrogantly and defiantly, go through a red light at a major intersection. A Countdown Timer will allow both extremes of the Pendulum to find common ground.


Comments? (Left click "Comments," below) * Our Thanks to Google/ Blogger for Hosting Our Site.

No comments:

Post a Comment


1. Click the "Anonymous Box" first.
2. Write your comment.
3. "Click" the "Publish Your Comment," Box.